Few things are more relaxing than lying on the beach and listening to calming sounds of the surf washing up along the shore. But lying flat on a beach towel or chair doesn’t provide much support for the neck and head. Luckily, there’s a fairly straightforward solution to this dilemma – beach pillows!
A good beach pillow will let you comfortably read a book, play on your phone, or use other electronics without any undue strain on the neck. Many also sport additional features that make them ideal for beach use like waterproof zippered pockets, inflatable construction, and convenient carry straps.
Let’s take a look at some of the best beach pillows available now, so you can relax on the water in complete comfort for as long as you feel like it.
Quick Answer: 5 Best Beach Pillows
Top 5 Beach Pillows
Versatile, stylish, and feature-packed, this well-made beach pillow features just about everything you could think of when it comes to relaxing by the beach. A built-in waterproof dry pocket allows you to keep your cellphone, keys, money, and other sensitive items safe and protected from water damage.
Made from easy-dry memory foam, the pillow is made from soft neoprene – the same material as wetsuits. This gives it excellent support and comfort, along with superior water protection.
Sealed zippers ensure no water can work its way inside the outer case, while an adjustable strap allows you to tighten the pillow to a beach chair or use it as a shoulder strap while carrying it. At 12” x 9” x 5”, the pillow is the ideal size for the beach, pool, camping, sporting events, or general traveling.
- Dimensions: 12” x 9” x 5”
- Built-in waterproof pocket allows you to stash your cellphone, keys, cash, and more.
- Made from comfortable easy-dry neoprene foam.
- Adjustable strap allows you to secure the pillow to a beach chair or use it as a carry strap.
Best Inflatable Pillow
If you’re looking for a compact pillow that will fit just about anywhere, this ultralight pillow from Marchway makes an excellent choice. It weighs just 2.8 ounces and packs down to fit in the palm of your hand – making it small and light enough to fit just about anywhere.
Made from soft elastic polymer coated with TPU, the pillow tough, durable, and water-resistant. It provides superior lumbar support, so you can use it for sleeping comfortably without worry. Whether you lie on your side, back, or front the curved contour cradles your neck and head in a comfortable position.
Inflating it takes mere seconds, with a one-way valve that allows you to fully inflate it in 3 to 5 breaths. When it’s time to deflate it, the lower layer valve lets you fully deflate it in 2 seconds.
Beyond just using it at the beach, this inflatable pillow works well for camping, traveling, backpacking, or even in the office!
- Ultralight pillow folds down to fit in your palm and weighs just 2.8 ounces.
- Made from soft elastic polymer coated with TPU.
- Tough, durable, and water-resistant.
- Inflating and deflating takes mere seconds.
- Also works well for camping, traveling, backpacking, and more.
This handsome-looking inflatable pillow not only provides comfort and support to your neck and head, but it also looks pretty chic! The pillow measures 16” x 9.5” x 6” after inflating, and 17” x 10” before, so it’s large enough to move around and switch positions while remaining comfortable.
A smart air valve allows for rapid inflation and deflation, and when deflated the pillow is compact enough to stash in a backpack, tote, or purse. The green tropical foliage design on a light pink background is eye-catching and matches well with other beach and vacation gear.
The soft outer cover can also be easily removed if you need to clean it.
All in all, if you’re looking for a simple beach pillow for a reasonable price, you’ll have a tough time beating this bad boy.
- Dimensions: 16” x 9.5” 6” (inflated), 17” x 10” (deflated)
- Smart air valve allows for rapid inflating and deflating.
- Tropical green foliage design is classic and eye-catching.
- The soft outer cover can be easily removed for cleaning if needed.
Ultra-comfortable, highly versatile, and unique, this eye-catching pillow design offers you a multitude of different uses in one compact and portable package. It supports your head and neck like a traditional pillow, but can also be used to support your legs and feet, or even your chest when lying face down.
Mesh wrapping around the pillow’s exterior provides a breathable surface that wicks away moisture and sweat while ensuring air circulation as you lie on it. The pillow measures 18” x 18” x 7.5” when inflated, making it a good size for lying on the beach as well as for camping, traveling, in the bathtub, or just lounging poolside.
The pillow inflates and deflates rapidly, weighs just 9 ounces, and deflates down small enough to fit nearly anywhere.
- Dimensions: 18” x 18” x 7.5” (inflated)
- Mesh wrapping around the pillow’s exterior provides a breathable and moisture-wicking surface.
- The wedge shape makes it ideal for neck and head as well as feet/legs and chest.
- Also works well for camping, travel, in the tub, or poolside.
This compact beach pillow makes the perfect accompaniment to any beach chair or lounger. It features two durable color matching clips for securing the pillow to the back of any beach chair or lounger.
A rear elastic measuring 29.5 inches also ensure you can secure the pillow without the use of clips. The pillow itself measures 15.75” x 9”, making it the perfect size to fit the back of most beach chairs.
The waterproof outer cover is removable and machine washable, so cleaning is a breeze if you happen to spill something on it. It’s also designed to be slim enough to fit inside a beach bag, small backpack, or tote without taking up excess room.
- Dimensions:75” x 9”
- Pillow is the perfect size for the back of most beach chairs.
- Adjustable rear elastic and clips allow you to secure it to any beach chair or lounger.
- Waterproof outer cover is easily removable and machine washable.
- Slim enough to fit inside most bags, backpacks, and totes.
How to pick the right beach pillow?
Picking out a beach pillow may not be the most important decision of your lifetime, but there are a few key features to be aware of when picking the right one for your needs.
Portability is key whenever you’re considering beach pillows. If you’re already hauling beach chairs, tables, coolers, grills, and more, the last thing you want is a bulky beach pillow taking up too much space.
When it comes to portability, it’s tough to beat the lightweight and compact nature of inflatables. These little guys are perfect for the beach, as well as backpacking, camping, or just lounging around. They typically deflate to a fraction of their inflated size, so you can stash one or more of these pillows anywhere in your bag or beach cart.
The ideal-sized pillow for you will generally depend on your preferences and use case. Generally, larger pillows are preferred to smaller ones, but too large and you run into issues with portability.
If you have plenty of room in your beach bag or backpack, then I’d go with the largest-sized pillow you can fit. You’ll rarely run into issues with your pillow being too large, but too small and you might regret it.
Some pillow manufacturers have added extra features to their products to enhance the overall functionality. Some features to be on the lookout for are:
- Waterproof pockets: Waterproof pockets are a great little feature that allows you to stash keys, cash, phones, and other electronics safely. These pockets are particularly useful if you tend to soak all of your beach gear in the water!
- Mounting straps: Mounting straps (or clips) allow you to attach the pillow directly to the back of a beach chair or lounger. This ensures it won’t slide around and will stay put even when you’re not using it.
- Waterproofing: Waterproofing or water resistance is another useful feature. This ensures your pillow won’t absorb water or sustain water damage over time.
I’ve loved being in the outdoors for as long as I can remember. I grew up fishing, canoeing, and camping throughout the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia. It’s what lead me to start this site and share my passions for fishing, diving, kayaking and more. Nowadays you can find me writing about my passions or (preferably!) preparing for my next outdoor adventure.